Friday, January 6, 2017

New Year’s Eve 2016 at Hakkasan


Christmas. I’m a big fan. But there’s actually one day that I love more than Christmas Day and that’s New Year’s Eve. I know everyone’s not such a big fan of the night but to me the start of a new year is the signal of a new beginning and hope for the future. There’s one rule about having a good New Year’s Eve and that’s keep it simple or you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. With that in mind, Mr S and I booked a table at one of out favourite restaurants, Hakkasan Hanway Place, somewhere that we know will always have a fantastic vibe and excellent food.

Now I’m not really one to do an outfit of the day but I really wanted to show you my new dress. I’ve been looking for the perfect Self Portrait dress for ages and I finally found one that fits perfectly and is the ideal length for my short stature. I imagine you’ll see this outfit on the blog fairly often now as I’m just a bit in love with this dress!
Hakkasan Hanway has a sexy subterranean spot in Fitzrovia, a blue-hued basement with dark wood lattice screens and black and gold accents. It’s the original restaurant in the Hakkasan group and as usual it was packed to the rafters with people enjoying the Michelin-starred Chinese food of Chef Tong Chee Hwee. Ordering up some of the restaurant’s famous cocktails we took a look at the menus, the full a la carte was available as well as the festive set menus. 
We chose the £98 festive signature menu which kicks off with a trio of dim sum, I’ve said it before but I think Hakkasan and sister restaurant Yauatcha serve the very best dim sum in London and tonight on the table were the champagne har gau, the lobster shu mai with pickled chilli and black truffle and porcini seafood dumpling. 
Though not on the set menu, Mr Silver cannot possibly come to his favourite restaurant and not have his favourite pork ribs. Meat fell off the bone perfectly and he loved the spicy sauce on the meat.

Finishing up our cocktails, we selected a bottle of Ruinart Champagne to go with the rest of our meal.
The light at Hakkasan is a little uneven so apologies that this isn’t a great photo but I still had to tell you about the crispy duck salad pomelo, pine nut and shallot. Though I wanted to save myself for the main course, I just could not stop dipping my chopsticks in this amazing salad. It’s definitely a must order. 
On to the main courses, the roasted cod with Champagne and honey has the silkiest flesh and flavour of the sauce is deliciate but flavoursome. 
Admittedly after so much duck for starter I did struggle to eat more the rich meat but the crispy skin of the black truffle roasted duck was simply perfection. 
While Mr S also loved the stir fry black pepper rib eye beef with merlot which was presented beautifully. 
I’m a big fan of very spicy food so you can imagine these crispy prawns with chillis and cashew nuts were ideal as another seafood option. Along with all of this, seasonal vegetables and Thai jasmine rice was included as part of the set menu so as you can imagine we were feeling very full as it’s all very generous portion sizes.

My intentions just to try a spoonful of the dessert flew out of the window as soon as it arrived. 
Milk chocolate and cashew parfait with lemon, milk chocolate and roasted cashew. 
Chestnut roulade with chocolate pear, rum, raisin ice cream. Honestly the desserts at Hakkasan are every bit as good as the savouries. It really is no wonder that the restaurant has been going strong for 15 years.

After dinner was met up with our friends Tori and Ronnie. 
And my fellow blogging buddies, Emma and Gary. Many, many glasses of bubbly were poured… 
….some twerking was done…

as we watched the fireworks over the London Eye…
And said hello to 2017. I have a feeling it’s going to be a very good year…

The post New Year’s Eve 2016 at Hakkasan appeared first on SilverSpoon London.



from SilverSpoon London

No comments:

Post a Comment