I won’t lie. I’m kind of a freak when it comes to desserts – in that I’m very picky. I cut out most processed sugars after college (I swear, you can do it!) and truthfully haven’t really looked back. A good bowl of berries with a little shredded coconut is my definition of a wonderful dessert. But there is a GIANT exception to this rule. It’s not that I eschew all indulgences – it’s just that I firmly believe that you should make every bite worth it! A candy bar made by the millions isn’t remarkable. That’s not something you’ll linger over, savor or think about the next day. I say if you’re going to go for it in the treats department, find something that heightens every sense. Indulge in what makes you dream about it for days before and days after. GO BIG.
Like homemade ice cream sandwiches big! Why not enjoy a trip back to your childhood with deliciously thick chewy cookies and luscious, oozing, dripping ice cream to create the ultimate indulgent dessert. You see, I grew up taking summer trips driving down the Oregon Coast – staying at Cannon Beach and walking the boardwalks, but the vacation was never complete without a trip to the Tillamook Cheese Factory. We got to see how Tillamook cheese was made – and we always stood in line for a precious scoop {well, let’s be honest, I always begged for a double cone} of fresh Oregon Strawberry Ice Cream. To me, the flavor just epitomizes summer, freedom and joy. So when I think of the ultimate way to enjoy a treat now – that’s the first place I go. But of course as an adult I like to kick the gourmet factor up a notch.
To start, I now branch out to other ice cream flavors besides my good ole’ strawberry. There are so many sophisticated options out there now. Cinnamon Horchata, Hazelnut & Salted Caramel to a serious taste test. The Cinnamon Horchata is so light and refreshing. I kinda wanted to eat it by the gallon full. The Oregon Hazelnut & Salted Caramel definitely satisfied my craving for something a bit crunchy, creamy and sweet. But really you can’t go wrong with any flavor you choose.
To kick these ice cream sandwiches up another notch, I wanted a similarly sophisticated cookie. And I won’t lie – in this case I headed to my favorite bakery, Batter Bakery, for the best cookies in San Francisco. No one said the cookies had to be made in your own kitchen to be exceptional!
When elevating an ice cream sandwich play with your cookie flavors too. Think Salted Chocolate Chunk, Sand Angel {the best reinvention of the snickerdoodle you’ve ever had} and Triple Chocolate Espresso. Of course I threw in some Sprinkle and M&M cookies to satisfy that inner child.


To finish off your sophisticated sandwiches, roll them in mini-chocolate chips, pistachios and coconut to make sure each one is unique. You just have to be hungry enough to eat them before they melt! So before we say so long to summer go ahead and treat yo’ self. It’s worth it.
For more end of summer recipe ideas, CLICK HERE.
original photography for apartment 34 by aubrie pick
The post Tasty Tuesday: The Ultimate End-of-Summer Treat appeared first on Apartment34.
from Apartment34




No comments:
Post a Comment