Monday, November 9, 2020

A Weekend Guide to Exploring Tallahassee

Another month in 2020 means another staycation for me! There’s no better time to “explore your own backyard” and this time I explored my state’s capital: Tallahassee, Florida.

Tallahassee’s rolling landscape is unique among Florida’s other major cities. I was blown away by the amount of green spaces throughout the city. With thousands of acres in parks, you can enjoy hundreds of trails for walking, hiking, and cycling. Art enthusiasts will be happy to know that Tallahassee also boasts over a dozen museums and 24 galleries.

Plan a weekend getaway or staycation in Tallahassee, and check out all my favorite places to visit…

ACCOMMODATION IN TALLAHASSEE

Hotel Duval, part of the Autograph Collection, is a boutique hotel in downtown Tallahassee that dates back to 1951. Thanks to a recent multimillion-dollar renovation, this property perfectly blends contemporary comfort with historic grandeur.

I enjoyed the old-world charm in the lobby with fixtures such as vintage photographs and an antique record player. But once I arrived in my Sapphire Suite, I was treated to a modern and elegant studio-style room. My suite featured a seated bar area, ample living space with a desk, large l-shaped couch, tv, and king-sized bed. The bathroom was also modern with a walk-in rain shower and plenty of counter space.

While you can enjoy LeRoc Bistro at the hotel for breakfast or lunch, and a steak dinner at Shula’s 347, I also recommend grabbing a drink at Level 8 Lounge. Their rooftop bar is perfect for enjoying a cocktail upon arrival, and admiring the views over Tallahassee.

DINING IN TALLAHASSEE: 

From fine dining to historic bars and family-owned eateries, there are so many delicious spots to enjoy in Tallahassee.

SoDOUGH Baking Company – This simplistic and modern bakery is well known for serving Brioche doughnuts made from scratch every morning! If you’re in the mood for something more savory, I’d recommend any of their hot pressed sandwiches on Brioche toast. I enjoyed one with ham and Swiss cheese; simple yet so tasty thanks to the quality ingredients.

Jeri’s Midtown Cafe – This charming cafe is housed in a lovely former house, and has the coziest garden patio that is perfect to enjoy lunch outside. At Jeri’s, they are known for delivering “love on a plate” which is certainly true. Both their food and staff are absolutely incredible. For a healthier lunch, I recommend Jeri’s Wonder Salad with quinoa, olive tapenade, baby heirloom tomatoes, blue cheese crumbles and more! They are also well known for their brunch.

Il Lusso – I recommend visiting this Italian restaurant for a wonderful date night experience. They serve the finest quality prime steaks, seafood, handmade pasta, wine and more. We enjoyed the Charred Octopus with eggplant, Beet and Goat’s Cheese Agnolotti and an 8 oz Filetto steak.

Dao – This is another great dinner spot in Tallahassee. Dao serves the finest Asian fusion in the city. Their sushi is fresh and flavorful, and I recommend any of their tuna rolls. I also enjoyed their Chinese dishes like chicken fried rice.

Other local food recommendations – Proof Brewing Company for quality beer, Table 23 for brunch, Bar 1903 for inventive cocktails in an historic setting, and Eve on Adams for another great rooftop bar.

WHAT TO DO IN TALLAHASSEE: 

As I mentioned before, there are so many museums and green spaces to enjoy in Tallahassee. With the nice weather and wanting to stay safe outdoors, we opted for visiting the parks instead on this trip. However, in terms of museums, I’d recommend the Florida Historic Capitol Museum, Goodwood Museum & Gardens, and the Tallahassee Automobile Museum… just to name a few!

Dorothy B. Oven Park – This lush park features six acres of gardens with azaleas, camellias, palms and other local flora. You can also admire a classic 1930s manor home which is available to the public for event rentals. I’d especially recommend visiting during the holiday season when they display over 250,000 twinkling lights and festive music!

Kavas Day Spa and Boutique – When you need a break from exploring Tallahassee on foot, head to Kanvas and enjoy a relaxing spa treatment. With its turquoise blue walls, there is a wonderful atmosphere of tranquility here. I thoroughly enjoyed my 60-minute massage.

Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park – This was definitely my favorite park we visited in Tallahassee! This state park is a masterpiece in floral architecture with its picturesque brick walkaway, secret garden, reflection pool, and lush greenery throughout. You can easily spend hours here exploring and taking photographs. This area is part of the Lafayette Land Grant awarded by the U.S. Congress to General Marquis de Lafayette in 1824 for his help in the Revolutionary War.

Other sightseeing recommendations – Lafayette Heritage Trail if you enjoy hiking, Cascades Park for more outdoor exploring, and Hearth & Soul for some retail therapy!

Tallahassee, Florida is a city rich with culture and history and I enjoyed all the time I was able to spend outdoors admiring the natural landscapes. A special thanks to Visit Tallahassee for hosting me, but as always, all opinions stated here are my own.



from Luxury Travel Blogger – Carmen Edelson

No comments:

Post a Comment